Monday, February 16, 2009

Who is threatening Alex Hilton?

Later. Alex Hilton's post has disappeared without explanation.

Alex Hilton, who runs the Labourhome blog, has received "a threatening phone call from a Labour member upset that I have a relationship with the Tory blogger Guido Fawkes".

Hilton and Paul Staines (who writes Guido Fawkes) founded the Messagespace advertising scheme for political blogs. And Staines is also a personal friend of Alex Hilton.

Hilton writes:

I have been told that if I don't extract myself from Messagespace I will be painted as endorsing every offensive comment or article on the Guido Fawkes site, that of Devil's Kitchen, Iain Dale and every other right winger on the system.

I have been told that I don't have Labour values by owning shares in Messagespace though, frankly, I feel more guilty about not checking where my tiny pension pot is invested. I have been told that there will be a campaign to rubbish me in the Labour Party and this will inevitably reflect badly on Labourhome.

Who is making these threats?

I do not know and Alex Hilton says he will not say. But it is interesting that Derek Draper, who recently reappeared on the political scene and founded Labourlist, writes as follows on his personal blog:
Another of our commenters, Neil Fraser, has put together the following list of advertisers on Paul Staines' racist website. Anyone who also feels that racism on the internet must be stamped out should also contact these companies. Ther (sic) are some e-mails below, as Neil says, do send in more. Let us know how you get on.
Thanks to Iain Dale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's always been a funny kind of Labour/Tory guy. He even attended their party conference in 2008!