Tuesday, September 13, 2016

I've good news for Nick Clegg: You can't lose by predicting Liam Fox will resign



The Spectator's Steerpike quotes Nick Clegg's words at a Commons press gallery lunch today:
"I’ll just say a word about Liam Fox though because I do feel sorry for him. I’m not a betting man but if I was I’d put a fair amount of money on Liam Fox resigning in a huff in the next 18 months and I’ll explain to you why. He doesn’t have a job and he doesn’t appear to have realised that yet. 
"He genuinely doesn’t have a job. If the United Kingdom doesn’t leave the customs union then he is heading a department without purpose because he cannot negotiate all these apparently magnificent trade deals with Papua New Guinea and Tanzania."
I think Nick Clegg is right. In my experience you can't go far wrong by predicting Liam Fox will resign.

Because in August 2010, when the commentariat had decided that Vince Cable would be the first minister to resign from the Coalition cabinet, I wrote:
My own tip for the first resignation would be a Tory right-winger like Liam Fox.
In October 2011 I was proved right.

So pile your money on Nick. It's a banker!

No comments: