Friday, September 16, 2016

John Peel and Lee Harvey Oswald in Trivial Fact of the Day



This near meeting between the late DJ and the assassin of President Kennedy wins our coveted award.
"It's a story that I've told so often that you get to the point where you don't really believe it yourself, it just seems so unlikely. 
"But then in one of the bits of film of that press conference, we were all standing in this room and they had the identification parade in the basement of this building and they said - Henry Wade said - that this is the man that's been charged in the assassination of President Kennedy, and they brought in Lee Harvey Oswald. And he stood there looking slightly puzzled and alarmed for a while, and then was taken away again. 
"In one of the films of this, which they showed on British television, they showed that Jack Ruby was in the room as well - which I didn't know he was until I saw this film they sort-of panned across the room and in the last few frames you can see me and my friend Bob standing there looking like tourists."
This transcript is taken from the video's YouTube page. The full version there explains what Peel was doing in Dallas in 1963.

1 comment:

  1. My viewpoint changed when I read the two books, Stan Dane's book, “Prayer Man: The Exoneration of Lee Harvey Oswald”, and “Prayer Man: More Than a Fuzzy Picture” by Bart Kamp, which look at the unidentified man who was filmed by Dave Wiegman, Jr., of NBC, and James Darnell of WBAP-TV, standing on the Depository front steps during the JFK assassination, referred to as "prayer man", theorised by some to be Lee Harvey Oswald.

    I hasten to add I am neither pro lone gunman or pro conspiracy in regards to JFK controversy. To use my quote used on the website link below, I am a strong believer in “innocent until proven guilty”, which is to say that I will never definitively state that Lee Harvey Oswald or anybody else was responsible for the assassination. There are too many missing puzzle pieces and most of the evidence is circumstantial rather than direct. As someone got interested in the JFK case since 2010, I have been pro-conspiracy and pro-lone gunman at times, and by the mid 2010s, I began remaining on the neutral side, having no opinion, though I’m prepared to accept the WC findings. There’s just something I cannot put my finger on that is preventing me from calling it a lone gunman and calling it a day. I think the PM theory made me wake up to it. If the films are released and it turns out not to be Lee, then fine, I eat my words and accept the lone gunman conclusion. Indeed, I myself admit that a small part is unsure but unless/until high quality copies of the Darnell film are released and can confirm or eliminate Oswald as PM, this theory is the only JFK Conspiracy Theory that could be true IMHO. It deserves more attention and those films need to be released to end the debate or resolve it.

    ReplyDelete