Monday, December 28, 2009

Sutton Bridge and The Golden Compass

That was a disappointment.

Having read everywhere that scenes for the film of Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass were shot at Sutton Bridge, I have just sat through the DVD of it.

Though I liked the book, I wonder how realistic it was to try to make a film of it without radical simplification.

Nowhere does the bridge itself appear. There is a scene that could be the mouth of the Nene at high tide - I think I recognise the artificial island in the Wash - but that is it. For what it is worth, that scene comes when Lyra is on the barge having been rescued by the Gyptians.

Reading the IMDB pages for The Golden Compass, it sounds a particularly fraught production. So it is no surprise that a lot of scenes were shot but ended up on the cutting room floor.

No comments: