Sunday, January 19, 2014

Leo Sayer: The Show Must Go On



Leo Sayer has long been seen as the quintessence of naffness - that Kevin Keegan perm did not help - but for a few years in the mid 1970s he enjoyed enormous success on both sides of the Atlantic.

I can still remember the impact this strange figure in full clown costume and make up had on me when I first saw him on Top of the Pops. If, as I suspect,  it was the show on 3 January 1974, then that tape has been wiped.

Nor can I find what other acts were on the show, but I like to think of Sayer as offering something new and intriguing to the 13-year-old me when set against Suzi Quatro, the Rubettes and other Chinn & Chapman dreck that the charts had to offer in those days. It was up there with I Know What I Like in Your Wardrobe.

These days Leo Sayer is an Australian citizen and very opposed to fracking.

2 comments:

Antiochian said...

Great post.... yikes, we are the same age and I remember this in the same way you do... (except I was an Australian teen at the time)..

It was very dark of him to appear as a sort of anorexic clown (who had lost his wig)... particularly as I regarded (and still do) clowns as dark anyway... and the lyrics were dark too... that was what the First Oil Crisis will do to you...

Antiochian said...

Technically not a clown but a Pierrot character....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierrot

"a trusting fool"...