Monday, February 01, 2016

Lord Bonkers' Diary: A shadow cabinet maker

As I mentioned in yesterday's post on the botched attempt to oust Nick Clegg in 2014, the new Liberator is out.

Which means, whether we like it or not, it is time to spend some more time at Bonkers Hall.

A shadow cabinet maker

My cabinetmaker calls this morning to effect some repairs to one of my Sheraton sideboards. They are occasioned by too vigorous a celebration of the anniversary of Graham Tope's victory at Sutton and Cheam – really, once the members of the Liberal Democrat Women’s executive committee get a few pints of Smithson & Greaves Northern Bitter down them no piece of furniture is safe.

I always enjoy watching a skilled tradesman at work, but I am puzzled by the man he has brought with him. At every turn he exclaims "You’re doing that all wrong" or "I wouldn’t do it like that". When the fellow is out of the room, I ask who he is. "Oh," comes the reply, "he’s a shadow cabinet maker".

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South West 1906-10.

1 comment:

Gawain said...

Boom, boom !

We very much enjoy our visits to the Hall!