Sunday, July 15, 2007

Dr David Owen: Expert on hubris

In his Guardian column yesterday Simon Hoggart revealed that David Owen has written a book on hubris. To anyone who remembers the Alliance years, this is far too funny to be true.

Still, as Hoggart wrote:

we buy cookery books by people who are famous for cooking, we'd take driving tips from Lewis Hamilton, and I see no reason why we shouldn't learn about overweening pride from Doctor Death.
So... The full title of the book is The Hubris Syndrome: Bush, Blair and the Intoxication of Power. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Paul Linford said...

I once recounted a story on my blog about an encounter with Owen at a journalists' lunch during the late 90s. I found myself sitting next to the great man and couldn't resist asking him whether, had he stayed in the Labour Party, he thought he would have become Prime Minister instead of Blair. He replied: "Oh, there isn't a doubt about that."

Paul Evans said...

That's too good!