Friday, September 09, 2011

Lord Bonkers' Diary: How we should conduct ourselves in coalition

This year the Conference issue of Liberator has been mailed out to subscribers before the event itself. My own copy has arrived in the post, which means that it is time to spend some more time with Rutland's most popular fictional peer.

In a few short days, we shall meet in Birmingham – home of municipal Liberalism, metal bashing and the Clement Davies Group. Moreover, we meet as partners in a coalition government. Moreover (if one is allowed to say ‘moreover’ twice), we meet as partners in a coalition government with the Conservatives.

Every day, letters arrive from worried young activists, asking me how we should conduct ourselves in our unwonted situation. I generally reply that we should maintain our nerve – or "Keep Calm and Carry On", in the words of the poster campaign I devised during the dark days of the last war.

In other words, we should maintain our principles while accepting the inevitable compromises of office – and give the Tories one up the snoot when they are not expecting it.

2 comments:

dreamingspire said...

Surely 'metal bashing'? Or was it a reverse Freudian slip as images of bashing the orphans flashed through M'Lord's mind?
One thing that Blogger has done is fix the bug that fooled Firefox into displaying the wrong video clip (it was regularly serving up an earlier one from its cache).

Jonathan Calder said...

I blame my literary secretary. I have corrected his error.

I am not sure what a Blogger or a Firefox is, but I am glad you have Sorted Things Out.

Bonkers