Sunday, February 18, 2024

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Set in the deserts of Southern Rutland

The first time I ever met Lord Bonkers he warned me against the Dahrendorf lager, yet it remains a fixture at the Bonkers' Arms. Having seen some of the film he refers to here, I would certainly recommend a stiff drink of something before you attempt to watch them.

Friday

I watch the aforementioned Talking Pictures TV from time to time in the hope of catching one of my own Rutland Studios productions. They were, if I say it myself, made in full knowledge of the latest developments in Continental cinema – “if not nouvelle then certainly vague,” as one critic put it. 

Films I remember with particular affection include I’m a Jihadi, Daddy, an examination of terrorism in the Middle East starring Helen Shapiro, Acker Bilk and Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen. Then there was I’m a Spad, Dad, a tale of romance at Westminster across party lines; Carry On Chamberlain, a cheeky comedy about the travails of chief whip trying to lick her colleagues into shape; and Ice Cold in Oakham, a wartime adventure set in the deserts of Southern Rutland. 

Really the lengths some people will go to for a pint of that gassy Dahrendorf lager.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South West, 1906-10.

Earlier this week in Lord Bonkers' Diary...

No comments: