Saturday, March 16, 2024

A memorial to Covid victims in the churchyard at Church Langton


I went to The Langtons this afternoon. I wanted to try the reopened Bell at East Langton, believed by many to be an inspiration for the Bonkers' Arms, and to pay my respects at the grave of this blog's hero J.W. Logan at Church Langton.

This tree, planted as a memorial for the people from Church Langton who died from Covid, or at least during the Covid pandemic, is also in the churchyard at St Peter's, Church Langton.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely idea - I am going to suggest that my church does something similar (albeit in a much more urban setting).

Jonathan Calder said...

Please let me know how you get on.

Anonymous said...

Well, this morning the Churchwarden pointed out (quite reasonably) that because of the urban tarmac a proper tree would probably be out of the question - but she thought we might be able to manage a large bush or shrub. Maybe rosemary ("that's for remembrance"). I will keep you informed.

Jonathan Calder said...

Thank you.

Mark Cox said...

One name you would know on the plaque is that of my father john together with a childhood friend david hardy. It was a lovely idea.

Jonathan Calder said...

Thanks Mark, I didn't realise that. Sorry to hear your father has died.