Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Disused railway stations in Leicestershire

A new site called Beechings Ghosts offers a "compendium of disused railways and stations in Leicestershire, mostly affected by the Beeching Axe of 1963".

The photograpgh I have borrowed shows Desford station in the old Leicestershire coalfield. It is on a line that is still open for freight but lost its passenger service in 1964.

There have long been plans to reopen this line and run trains from Leicester to Burton on Trent through Coalville and Ashby de la Zouch, two sizeable towns without a railway service. But at present the hopes of this seem slim.

2 comments:

Vivian Gray 746 said...

Hi, I owned the site before I let the name lapse, but I have re-invigorated my interest and have started to produce videos on TouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EdphCZhsvM

Jonathan Calder said...

Many thanks - I'll have a look.