Thursday, May 21, 2009

River Jordan, Little Bowden

This is a shot taken just around the corner from my house. It shows the River Jordan, where the young John Illsley fished for sticklebacks.

From the Gospel of Matthew (3:13-17):
Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
I feel a controversial bestseller coming on: Did Jesus Come From Market Harborough?

A later post discusses how the River Jordan got its name.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed He did, as quickly as he could.

:-)

Pete said...

But Jonathan - the River Jordan is deep and wide (and be chilly-and-cold). This is not at all what I had expected.

Pete B

Bob Scotney said...

I would like to use your photo on my blog this April in the A-Z Challenge when my theme will be British Rivers I came from Rutland originally by=ut did not know the R Jordan in Northants existed. My blog is at bob.scotney.blogspot.co.uk Bob's Home for Writing. Hope you will agree.

Jonathan Calder said...

Hello Bob. Many thanks for asking first.

You are welcome to use the photo as long as you credit me and include a link to the blog.

Bob Scotney said...

Thanks Jonathan, Will be happen to give you credit and provide a link to your blog.