Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Fighting crime in Rutland

Day 4 in Lord Bonkers' house.

Thursday

I was shocked at the police behaviour in London. Whilst I did not suffer the worst of it myself – I should strongly advise the Metropolitan force not to try to kettle me – what I saw made a sorry contrast with what I am used to in Rutland.

Here we insist that each village is provided with a red-faced, jolly policeman, who is supplied with his own police house and spends his time alternately clipping unruly youngsters around the ear and helping old ladies across the road (often, it has to be admitted, when they have no particular wish to cross).

The result is that we have not only a low crime rate, but also some of the best-behaved children and fittest old ladies in Europe.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10.

Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary

No comments: