Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lord Bonkers' Diary: I take on the Women's Liberal Foundation

We enjoy our penultimate day at Bonkers Hall.

Saturday

Today sees the first match of the season for Lord Bonkers’ XI (if one overlooks our traditional Easter tour of the Holy Land) and upon having the curtains opened for me I am pleased to observe that the weather has held. I waste no time in rising and am soon outside supervising Meadowcroft as he mows the pitch (which he describes as “green as a Fenian’s frog a-munching lettuce”).

Our opponents are a powerful team drawn from the Women’s Liberal Federation (or whatever they call themselves these days), but accurate seam bowling by Professor David Starkey wins the day.

As ever, Miss Fearn’s teas are a highlight of the day. I find even the Credit Crunch looks less menacing when viewed over the brim of a large Victoria sponge.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10.

Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary

No comments: