Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Sir Clement Freud

Liberator 333 (we are halfway there!) has reached subscribers, so we can spend another week with Rutland's most popular fictional peer.

Monday

Sad news arrives this morning as I learn of the death of my old friend Sir Clement Freud. I recall speaking for him at his by-election in the Isle of Ely, supported by his faithful companion Henry the bloodhound. Indeed, there were those in the constituency party who thought that Henry would make the better candidate, but he gave a ruff performance at the selection meeting and Cle carried the day.

Be that as it may, I am told they still talk of my speech in the Fens. In it I observed what an irony it was that the Liberal candidate had won fame on the wireless by avoiding deviation in his conversation when his grandfather had become famous by talking of nothing else.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10.

No comments: