Monday, May 11, 2009

Cooking asparagus while listening to Willie Rennie

I have just taken part in a conference call with Willie Rennie on the Liberal Democrat campaign for next month's Euro elections. I was cooking my supper at the same time. (You don't have to boil asparagus: try doing it in a hot oven with olive oil and sea salt.)

Anyway, Willie is promising a very different Euro campaign from the ones the party has fought in the past. He said that the other day a Guardian journalist phoned him and said: "I've heard an outrageous rumour that the Lib Dems are going to fight the European elections on Europe."

It seems that rumour is true.

6 comments:

Stephen Glenn said...

You could have offered me some. That sounds yummy. Mind you I'm sat in a convalescing member of Willie's staff's lounge just now.

dreamingspire said...

When are they going to fight? When? Its only 3 weeks away and I haven't heard anything from them. The only action at my door has been the lady collecting for Christian Aid.

Simon Titley said...

I wish it were true that the Lib Dem Euro campaign is different this time.

However, Willie Rennie has to explain why the Lib Dems' so-called "European Election Broadcast" last Friday contained no mention of Europe or the European elections (and did not mention the local elections for that matter).

"Vote Lib Dem and we'll cut your tax by £700" was the strapline, even though June's elections can have no effect on personal taxation.

Cowley Street insists that the party must do nothing to offend Eurosceptic voters and that the Euro campaign can be fought through traditional 'ground war' techniques. Both assumptions are patently absurd and will lead to a poor result, as in 2004.

Jonathan Calder said...

Never mind all that, Simon. What's your recipe for asparagus?

Simon Titley said...

I use my asparagus kettle. Doesn't everyone?

crewegwyn said...

Don't mention kettles to Tom Brake .....