Saturday, May 23, 2009

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Why I went on the G20 march

Our week at Bonkers Hall continues.

Wednesday

Like many of my readers, I demonstrated in London during the G20 summit. There are those who criticised us for lacking an agreed programme for change or even a common set of demands, so let me make it clear why I, for one, was marching through the capital that day.

I marched because the global financial and economic systems are in crisis. I marched because current economic policies and institutions have overseen a system scarred by high levels of poverty and inequality, and are contributing to an environmental catastrophe. I marched because we have still not achieved proportional representation for Westminster elections, site value rating or a knighthood for the saintly Norman Baker. I marched because Honeysuckle Weeks is no longer on the electric television, because of Twenty20 cricket, because people now call railway stations “train stations”. I marched because of Jonathan Ross, because schoolboys no longer wear short trousers, because you cannot get a cooked breakfast on trains any more. I marched because I can no longer patronise the Woolworth’s Pick ‘n’ Mix counter (even if I don’t tell Nanny), because Tom Croft was omitted from the British Lions touring party to South Africa, because you don’t get proper wet fish shops any more.

I hope this will silence my critics.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10.

Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary

No comments: