Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Lord Bonkers' Diary: "Hooson, we have a problem"

I never know how much of Lord Bonkers' reminiscences to believe. In this case, I suspect he should have gone back for his Panama.

Thursday

The orphans and Cook have taken to the cool of the caves for which Trescothick Bay is noted, but I am happy here on the beach even though I have left my sun hat back at the boarding house. 

Today I have been thinking of Emlyn Hooson, an inspirational leader of our party in Wales and a source of wise counsel on any matter touching upon the Principality. His phone would ring at all hours and, more often than not, when he had answered the thing he would hear the words “Hooson, we have a problem.” 

Later in life he revealed an unexpected talent for Association football, captaining Liverpool to three league titles and two European Cups. This led to his being invited to be a team captain on the moving television show A Question of Sport, where his duels with Binkie Beaumont kept the nation on the edge of its seat.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South West 1906-10.


Earlier this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment