Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lamport Rectory: Birthplace of Denys Watkins-Pitchford ("BB")

My trip to Lamport on Saturday - which led me to Shortwood House - was chiefly to see this building. Lamport Rectory was the birthplace of the writes and illustrator Denys Watkins-Pitchford.

He was born there in 1905 when his father was the rector. As Wikipedia records:
Denys was himself considered to be delicate as a child, and because of this was educated at home, while his younger twin, Roger, was sent away to school. He spent a great deal of time on his own, wandering through the fields, and developed a love of the outdoors, which was to influence his writing.
Pevsner tells us that the Rectory was built in 1727-30 for the then rector, Dr Euseby Isham. The Ishams were the owners of the neighbouring Lamport Hall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to stay at the rectory when I was a child.the vicar then was the rev Anderson him and his wife had 3 children John Evelyn and Michael .must have been around 1944.I have very happy memories of my time with the family.Would love to know more