Thursday, July 08, 2010

Ming Campbell's Olympic blazer and vest on show at Westminster

The Great Britain Olympic team blazer and running vest worn by Sir Menzies Campbell when he competed in the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games have gone on display in a new exhibition at the House of Commons.

Sir Menzies ran in the 200m and the 4×100m relay final at the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games. He also held the British 100 metres record between 1967 and 1974.

Ming Campbell comments on his own website:
“Seeing my running vest in a historical exhibition made me feel every one of the 46 years since I’d worn it, but I felt a lot happier when I found I could still fit into my blazer!"
I still maintain that Ming should have challenged those who mocked him for his elderly appearance when he was Lib Dem leader to a race.

Quentin Letts, for instance, would have gone down with a stitch within 10 yards.

No comments: