Saturday, July 17, 2010

Six of the Best 76

Andy Crick has a major problem with the coalition government: "My problem is that, notwithstanding some of the measures in the budget, like the dodging of a meaningful capital gains tax increase, I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with much of what is being done. This is a difficult position to be in when I want to maintain my independence and critical faculties."

If you missed Zac Goldsmith's extraordinary performance on Channel 4 News last night, hurry over to Caron's Musings for the video and some sensible comment.

Another fount of good sense, The Wartime Housewife, strikes a blow against Outnumberedism. She is looking forward to the school holidays and seeing more of her children.

BLDGBLOG has a photograph of the 18th-century ship that has been discovered during building work on the site of the World Trade Center.

More prosaically, Diamond Geezer looks at the 80-year history of Green Line Coaches. Mind you, I can recall, when a little boy in Hemel Hempstead, being amazed that it was possible to catch one all the way to somewhere exotic like East Grinstead.

Sick Britain has some atmospheric photographs of abandoned asylums, one of which I have borrowed and used here. It is worth quoting Enoch Powell's words from 1961: "There they stand, isolated, majestic, imperious, brooded over by the gigantic water-tower and chimney combined, rising unmistakable and daunting out of the countryside - the asylums which our forefathers built with such immense solidity to express the notions of their day."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very much like Diamond Geezer,who (his post of 7/7) is feeling unloved. Do add him to you blogroll, if only for my convenience! I thank you.

Jonathan Calder said...

He has been there for some time - between Backwatersman and Doctor Vee.

DC said...

Mea culpa. I'll excuse myself by saying that , anomalously, you are not on his own list of blogs which link to him.