Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Giving up the captaincy

Giving up the captaincy

In Westminster, I come across our own Nick Clegg. I ask him if he has seen Andrew Strauss’s resignation as captain of the England cricket team. I emphasise how Strauss had won everyone’s respect because of his dignified bearing and the happy timing of his decision.

Warming to my theme, I say: “You don’t want to be like Michael Vaughan. He stayed at his post for too long and then burst into tears. Look at Colin Cowdrey: they had to drag him bodily from the Long Room and he tried to hold on to the furniture as he went past it. And poor Andrew Stoddart shot himself.”

Clegg is polite, but when we part I remain unconvinced that he has taken my point.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10

Earlier this week in Lord Bonkers' Diary

2 comments:

burkesworks said...

Clegg reminds me more and more of Mike Denness every time out.

Jonathan Calder said...

At the time I held a grudge against Denness because I thought he was responsible for dropping John Snow. Turns out it was Alec Bedser's fault.