Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Weekend World opening titles

Reading Iain Dale's Total Politics interview with Matthew Parris...

You mention Weekend World there. You’re quite critical of yourself in your autobiography on that. Was it something that you felt instantly uncomfortable with?

Yeah. I felt instantly uncomfortable with it when I started. I thought, and I suppose everyone does, that after a while you’d get better at it but I found after two years I still wasn’t getting better at it and our ratings were dropping. I don’t think I was a flop. What I failed to be was the new Brian Walden. The programme itself was probably out of date. The concept was arthritic and old-fashioned. I think a really sensational presenter could have given it a new life and I just wasn’t doing that. I just wasn’t sensational.

Don’t you think nowadays there ought to be something like that on television? There is no longer any inquisitive interview that lasts longer than 10 minutes.

But would anybody watch it? If you want a presentation about something that develops an argument carefully and thoughtfully, is television the best medium in which to do it? No, I think people watch things like Weekend World because there wasn’t anything else to watch. They learned to appreciate its strengths and they developed the patience you need, but modern viewers don’t have that patience and why should they?

...puts me in mind of this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always found it somewhat incongruous how Weekend World used Mountain's "Nantucket Sleighride" as its theme tune.

dreamingspire said...

BBC TV HARDtalk does the job:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/2001010.stm