Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Anthony Burgess lived in Aylestone too


My current enthusiasm for exploring the Leicester suburb of Aylestone was curbed by the weather on Saturday.

I sat in The Black Horse and watched the rain falling. Eventually I got tired of waiting for it to stop and ordered a taxi back to Leicester station.

My exploration of Aylestone began with a search for the birthplace of C.P. Snow. But he was not the only noted 20th-century novelist to have lived there:
Over a pint of Tiger, somebody told me that Anthony Burgess used to drink in our pub. The story sounded implausible -- that Burgess had been a familiar face at the Black Horse, Aylestone in the 1950s - but I filed it away mentally.
That is the opening of a guest post Phil Beesley once wrote for this blog on Anthony Burgess in Leicester.

Click here to read the whole post.

No comments: