Thursday, August 30, 2018

"Let Worthington's Feed You": A forgotten Leicester grocery chain


When I came across this old sign above the door of a cafe in Aylestone, I assumed that it was a rather fanciful add for Worthington's beer.

But I was wrong, as a recent article in the Leicester Mercury by Jane Goddard showed.

It began:
We wonder how many of our readers recall Worthington’s Cash Stores, the local chain of grocery shops with their memorable slogan, “Let Worthington’s feed you”? 
By 1960, the company had 47 branches, the vast majority within Leicester, but also in the county, and in Coventry, Northampton, Nuneaton and Rugby. 
Founded by Charles T. Worthington in 1891, the first of many stores was at 18 Humberstone Road, Leicester.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Apparently my Uncle ran Worthingtons in Nuneaton and received a gold watch as it was their 100th store! Any other information about the stores would be appreciated.

Unknown said...

I have a teaspoon celebrating 100 shops in 1938

Adrian Rice said...

I rode a delivery bike for Worthington's in Birstall. The shop was managed by Reg Wright - a former Home Guardsman and a fine slicer of hams and cheese. There were 3 delivery bikes and 3 of us. We'd race around the village every Thursday and Friday evening. Great fun and we got 2/6 an hour for our fun!

Jonathan Calder said...

Thanks for your memories, Adrian.

Anonymous said...

My brother has our GG grandfather's gold watch, for the same occasion. He worked in a Leicester branch

Rosemary said...

I still measure out the tea leaves every day with my spoon that says, 'Let Worthingtons Feed You 100 shops 1938'.

Jonathan Calder said...

Thank you, Rosemary. I was thinking about Worthington's only yesterday.