Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Maggie Clay

Michael Meadowcroft wrote an obituary of Maggie Clay in today's Guardian. In the 1970s and early 1980s, when I met her several times, Maggie was a city councillor in Leeds and worked for the Association of Liberal Councillors in Hebden Bridge. That was in the days when the ALC was certainly not approved of by the party hierarchy.

There was one thing about Maggie that I thought I remembered, but I did not blog about it in case I had got it wrong. However, Michael confirms that when she wanted a break from politics she open an organic food shop in my favourite Shropshire town,

By the time I started going to Bishop's Castle it had already closed, but I think I remember seeing her name above the empty shop.

Maggie was a member of Stockport MBC when she died suddenly earlier this month, aged only 61.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've got happy memories of that little food shop called 'Clays' in Bishops Castle - a regular weekend spot for my parents. As was Maggie at our house when i lived in Shropshire.

She was a lovely bubbly lady and she will be well missed