Sunday, March 15, 2020

Cocteau Twins: Ivo



The 1980s were my Liberal activist years. The result is that I know many songs from the era because I encountered them on pub jukeboxes after canvassing or after meetings, but I don't know what they are called.

I am not sure the Cocteau Twins featured on many jukeboxes, but this song is from 1984 and so is very much from that era. I heard a version of it from an inevitable Peel session on BBC Radio 6 the other day.

Also known as Peep Bo, Ivo was the opening track on the band's album Treasure. It was named for Ivo Watts Russell, who produced their first album.

1 comment:

Phil Beesley said...

I can't recall any ITV popular music programme in the late 1970s/1980s, and BBC TV output was stodgy compared to radio. Meanwhile MTV Europe persuaded pubs to install screens and record companies spent even more money on promotional videos, with the incidental benefit of propping up film makers and crews. Channel 4 started up and made yoof culture programmes. Pop music and videos had more outlets.

Political campaigning was not the only incentive to get out of the house...