Wednesday, September 30, 2026

The Burnhamites will not hurt them for they are tough as leather


I was impressed by Andy Burnham's speech to the Labour Conference and I hope the Liberal Democrats will soon sound warmer about his talk of electoral reform, return to the European Union and improvements to social care than they have so far.

But that isn't going to stop me the final verse of a song written to celebrate the acquittal of five Tollesbury men charged with piracy in 1894:

The Tollesbury men and Mersea men
Know how to stand together;
The Burnhamites will not hurt them,
For they are tough as leather.

That comes from an article by Helen Matten in issue 172 (December 2020) of The Essex Family Historian. The piracy charges followed a clash between fishermen from Tollesbury and Burnham-on-Crouch.

1 comment:

  1. Spot on Jonathan. I despair about Ed Davey his response to Andy Burnham's speech was churlish at best. Here we have a prime minister who is at least talking about electoral reform, closer ties to the EU and all Ed Davey can do is carp from the sidelines. I wonder what the point of the liberal democrats is anymore

    ReplyDelete