Sunday, April 29, 2018

William Boyd wins First Paragraph of the Day

Photo from Geograph © Stephen McKay

It's not often awarded, but William Boyd thoroughly deserves it:
Back in the mid-1960s, I went on a  school trip to Inverness. We were allowed 30 minutes of liberty in the city centre before returning and as the senior boy I was responsible for counting heads to make sure all were present after our brief furlough. I counted and recounted – we were short by two. I turned to the teacher: “I’m sorry, sir,” I said, “But Burgess and Maclean are missing.” The unbridled hilarity that greeted my remark – from teacher and bus driver – alerted me to the fact that I had inadvertently stumbled on an adult joke. I was baffled. It was explained to me. It was the first time I heard of Donald Maclean.

No comments: